Thursday, September 12, 2013

Exploring Roles in the ECE Community: Local and State Levels

Local, state, nation, and international early childhood organizations are important to foster the well-being of children, their families, and the field as a whole. This week I am exploring different organizations, agencies, and communities that encompass the early childhood field. First I looked at three local and state organizations that appealed to me.

1.     I choose Knowledge Works. Knowledge Works is an organization who current emphasis is on the construction and renovation of schools. This could be facilities or technology. I was interested in this organization because I feel strongly that technology needs to be updated throughout the schools. As a society we use technology every day. Without educating our children about technology and giving them access to it, we are doing an injustice to them.

2.     Secondly I choose The Coalition for Greater Cleveland’s Children. This is a not-for-profit organization that works to promote and improve education, health, safety, and economic well-beings of children from the Cleveland, Ohio area. I found this organization great because not many places incorporate all factors of a child into how it affects their education. The whole child concept is what I enjoyed most about this organization.

3.     Third I choose the Community Advocates for Public Education (CAPE). This organization of community members promotes public and political support to public schools. This can be through education, legislative, and political campaigns. I choose this organization because I think it is really great to build a strong relationship with the community, and by giving information on so many different levels more individuals would by apt to support the schools.


I did not see any job opportunities listed for these organizations but many volunteer positions that I think would be great to be involved with. I am particularly looking at The Coalition for Greater Cleveland’s Children. I also think being part of this organization would be neat because I would get a different understanding of the early childhood field from a different perspectives that is not mainly focused on academics. I feel I have the skills, experience, and education needed to competently fulfill a volunteer spot for this organization. 

References

Barnes, M. (n.d.). Community advocates for public education. Retrieved from http://chuh.net/cape/

Knowledgeworks foundation. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://knowledgeworks.org/

Swanson, A. N. (n.d.). Coalition for greater cleveland's children. Retrieved from http://www.coalition4kids.org/about/default.asp

1 comment:

  1. You found some great organizations this week-I am all for technology, but we must not stop teaching our children the fundamentals of handwriting. Where I live many schools have stopped teaching children to write in cursive and this is something I am against! Technology is a must but so is handwriting, have you noticed this where you live? I love that the organizations you picked have a focus on helping the community. I have had many classes with you and know you will be perfect in any job you put your mind too!

    ReplyDelete