Saturday, August 17, 2013

Impacts on Early Emotional Development


Throughout my learning at Walden University I have been looking at challenges that may exist in early childhood that can include but is not limited to poverty. War, terrorism, abuse, and other forms of trauma, this week I decided to look specifically at an area of the world to understand children from this region. I choose Latin American and the Caribbean for the reasons of having children from the countries that I come into contact daily and this region hosts my favorite vacation spots. I love the culture when I visit these countries, but to truly understand them I need to understand the children and the challenges that these countries face.


Some challenges that children in this region of the world are confronting are is the inconsistency of education for the children. For example in Costa Rica 96% of people are literate and only 49% in Haiti (UNICEF).  Another challenge is the health care that is available and healthy water sources between countries. In Niagara water facilities are only 85% sanitary because of the rural areas of the culture being in the low 60% for sanitary water distributed to people (UNICEF). In certain countries as well child labor is used and also some countries have marriage between individuals under the age of 15 in a high percentage. In Dominican Republic both these statistics are true having 13% of children working and 12% of their children married by age 15.


These experiences might have an effect on children’s emotional well being and development by the stress of having to “grow up” and not live their youth to the fullest because of marriage and having to work. Children could also have to stress about their health such as having food and clean water and not having these resources could also affect their development in a healthy way. Also not being educated is not helping children to be able to learn all they can as well as depriving them of information to help them in various ways. 


Personally I have gained an understanding of what I can do to help children in these areas to give the better chance of a healthy lifestyle. When I travel to these places being able to donate my time and funds to help children would only increase these children’s lifestyle as well as this making me feel fulfilled.





3 comments:

  1. You are so right that we need to understand the circumstances our children are coming from-by knowing what is happening in their home country we will be better prepared to handle situations that may arise. Great information from your site-thank you for sharing what is happening to children in this part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abigail,
    What valuable information you brought to the table. The illiteracy rate is staggering but not surprising. I am amazed at the rate of children working. Could you image being married before 15 years old? I can’t but for those who have been robbed of their childhoods they must survive and perhaps this is the way to do it. You brought extremely interesting data to the conversation. I will research your topic so that I may learn more about your subject. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sad to have to work and/or be married at such a young age. Plus to go without clean water and access to an education. It is important to understand the struggles of those around the world and to provide any assistance we can. If we all contributed a little bit, it could make a big difference to these children who have next to nothing.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete